Friday, September 30, 2011

Saturday, October 1, 2011, 2 p.m.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Here is a segment of "CBS Sunday Morning" about the book.



I was going to write a much longer post about this book because it raises so many questions that I find interesting, questions about scientific ethics and laws regarding scientific research. In the back of the book, there is a discussion about various legal and ethical issues of human tissue research. The issue that interests me the most is the idea that a genetic sequence is patentable. I went looking for information on this and found this great link to a Nova episode called "Cracking the Genetic Code," which was originally a 2-hour program which has been broken up into 8 to 10-minute segments for easy viewing on your computer. I fully intend to watch it now that baseball season is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment